Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Knowing Jesus

Recently, I don't remember who it was, but I heard someone say that its easier for men to relate to God, and women to relate to Jesus. After I heard this, I realized that it is actually the opposite for me. It is very easy for me to relate to God, and when I pray I do so to God. When talking to other people about being a Christ-follower, it is easier and more natural for me to refer to God. I realized that I don't really know Jesus very well. Obviously, as a Christ-follower, I know who Jesus is and what He has done for me. But I don't really know Him, I haven't really studied Him in the new testament, and aside from stories I learned as a child, I don't really know what He did during His short life on Earth.

So, I started reading Matthew yesterday. The first thing that stuck out to me was right at the beginning, the Ancestors of Jesus covered in 1:1-17. I went through a womens bible study where we read books about several of the women in Jesus' ancestry. It was just interesting to see again the place those women had in the lineage of Christ.

Then, in chapter 2, Herod becomes so jealous of the presence of the Messiah, that he kills all boys two years old and younger who lived in or around Bethlehem. Joseph was close enough to God to hear His voice just in time to get out of town. That totally shows the importance of having ears to hear God's voice. What He has to say to us could mean life or death.

In chapter 4 the devil tempts Jesus. Jesus, the perfect lamb, was tempted. I am tempted all the time, and Jesus understands that! He knows the struggles of our flesh, and how conniving the devil is.

On to chapter 5, the Sermon on the Mount. I have read this portion of scripture so many times, and really I just remember not knowing how to pronounce "beatitudes." Reading this again really reminded me of how God wants us to be. The translation I have says "God blesses those people who depend only on Him. They belong to the kingdom of heaven! God blesses those people who grieve. They will find comfort! ......God blesses those people who want to obey Him more than to eat or drink. They will be given what they want!....God blesses those people whose hearts are pure. They will see him! God blesses those people who make peace. They will be called His children!..." There is more, but these specific passages really spoke to me. I could really go in depth here and explain what they all mean to me, but that would take awhile =)

In 5:13, Jesus says "You are the salt for everyone on earth. But if salt no longer tastes like salt, how can it make food salty? All it is good for is to be thrown out and walked on." This scripture made me realize how important it is to continuously be an example of Christ. I have to consistently spend time in the bible and in worship. I might be the only version of Christ that some people see, and a watered down, diluted version isn't going to change anyone or anything.

That is as far as I got yesterday. I will post more on my Matthew reading later.

No comments:

Post a Comment